Slightly Different Cheese StrawsMonday, March 12, 2012
Fancy a quick and easy treat for snacks tonight? Or do you just want something different in your lunch box?? Try these out!!
- 1 x 375g/13oz packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 55g/2oz freshly grated cheese
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 210C/425F/Gas7.
- Place the pastry on a floured work surface and then cut the pastry in half. (pizza cut works best!)
- Fold the bottom half of each piece over the top half and gently press down. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the remaining cheese
- With a large sharp knife or pizza cutter cut the pastry, lengthways, into 1cm/½in strips. Hold the ends between your fingers and carefully stretch and twist the strips in opposite directions. Place the twisted strips onto lightly oiled baking sheets, spacing them evenly apart. Place in the oven and bake for 10 -12 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Remove the cheese straws from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for five minutes to firm up. Using a palette knife carefully transfer the cheese straws to a wire rack or serving plate.
- On the first pastry half, sprinkle over the chopped parsley and a quarter of the grated cheese. Spread the other piece of pastry with the sun-dried tomato paste and sprinkle with a quarter of the grated cheese.